If a Port Cask is what you’re looking for then you’ve come to the right place. If you were looking for another type of cask, then please CLICK HERE and choose one of the other cask types.
Let start with explaining what you’re signing up for here. It’s a brand new, never been used before (to age whisky) Port Cask. The cask is hand made in the USA from American Oak, toasted, not-charred, shipped to Europe and then used to mature port for a minimum of 3 years. It’s then shipped to us in China to be filled with our new make whisky.
The toasting process is necessary for all casks, including a Port Cask. Essentially it means that the cask is heated gently and this is done by placing the barrel over a relatively light flame to seal the wood. This has to be done to every barrel as it stops the natural saps interfering with the liquid stored in the cask. In the case of wine, beer and cider, this is usually as much that needs to be done.
Your Port Cask will have been previously used to mature Tawny Port for at least 3 years.
Why Tawny Port? What about Ruby Port?
Ruby port is normally aged in steel or concrete vats and there are rarely casks involved in the maturation process.
The Full 9PAAM Experience
- We’re delivering a complete whisky lover’s experience as a VIP Platinum Whatever all-in inclusive price of absolutely everything. For those following along at home, that means supplying your Port Cask, filling your cask, storing your cask, then maturing and monitoring your whisky while it ages for up to 5 years. This also includes the cost of bottling, closures, labels and shipping to anywhere in mainland China.
- You and up to 3 guests to come to Nine Rivers Distillery and spend half a day with one of our team who will give you a personal tour of the distillery, allowing you to get up close and personal with all aspects of production. From taking in grain, milling, mashing, fermenting and distilling, you’ll have the access that will only be available to the very highest level of VIP guests. Maybe you’ll even meet that moggy.
- Taste some sample expressions so you and your guests can understand the variations in finished whisky that can be created by adjusting mash bills and your choice of cask.
- We fill TWO Port casks of your choice. At the end of the maturation of your whisky, you can choose your favourite of the two casks that have matured – or, if you want both, then just pay the same amount again and have two casks of whisky.
- Every year, after each anniversary of your port cask being filled, the cask owner is welcome to visit again to sample their cask. Samples can also be sent out by post for those that are unable to visit. The cask will also be measured for volume and ABV (“regauged” as it’s called in the industry) and certified for the cask owner.
- Come back on bottling day and be involved in everything from disgourging, filling your bottles, putting in the stoppers, adding the capsules and sticking on the labels. Or we do it for you if you can’t attend. Either way, shipping the bottles to anywhere in Mainland China is included in your cost.
- You own the cask. You can take it home with you. You can have it shipped (at your cost) anywhere. Or you can donate it to local crafters who will make it into nik naks.
Reservation Deposit Only
Please note, that your purchase here is for the reservation deposit only. You are paying 5% as a downpayment to reserve your Port Cask. The total cost for this is ¥80’000, therefore the 5% deposit payable now is ¥4000.
Cost Per Bottle
Assuming a 3 year maturation process, 5% annual loss to the angels share and an original casking strength of 63% ABV resulting in 240 bottles, then this is the equivalent of ¥333 per bottle. Assuming a 5 year maturation process, 5% annual loss to the angels share and an original casking strength of 63% ABV resulting in 220 bottles, then this is the equivalent of ¥363 per bottle.
Gimme Gimme Gimme
If you want your very own Port cask then scroll back up and click on ADD TO CART. You can then check out and pay.